The Fighty Squirrel is very thin pseud for a molecular and cellular neurobiology type who runs a lab studying neurodegeneration. She is mother to a 14yo half child/half honey badger and 16yo half child/half border collie and a Reviewing Editor at Journal of Neuroscience. She also sort of a badass at air hockey. She speaks for herself unless her employer likes it, in which case it's patented.
Vanderbilt School of Medicine
Just a Mad Squirrel
Nuts and Twigs
I haven't filled out my Websites yet!
- Women: If You Want First Author Publications, Have a Female Boss
- Summer for Academic Parents: Do It Like a Pro by Preparing Now
- Valentine's Day Presents for the STEM Love of Your Life
- Why Aren't More LGBT+ Scientists Out: Student's Question Sparks Debate
- Reality Check: It's Not Your Data
- How to Make Your Team Stand Out When Interviewing Prospective Students
- Multi Year Study Reveals Significant Bias Against Women in Grant Review
- Year 15 as a PI. Spoiler, It's a Still a Challenge
- Quick Like Bunnies, Spend $5 Now for a Better Academic New Year
- TIME Names University Silence Breakers People of the Year
- Gifts Your STEM Buddies + Lab Friends Really Want This Holiday Season
- Brene Brown Offers Academics A Thoughtful Way To Do a Reboot
- Alice Soragni's Hot Takes on Year One of Being a PI
- NIAAA Steps Up with Great Addiction Outreach Tool
- Salvage Your Unfunded Grant with an OnPAR Submission
- Pending Budget Plan Spells Big Trouble for Higher Education
- Harvard Study Shows Bias, Not Behavior, Is Why Women Aren't Advancing
- I'm Not Your Mom and Other News About Females in STEM
- Dear Sen Warren: A Primer on Being a Woman in Science
- NIH Just Stepped Up (a Bit) to Promote Neuroscience Trainee Diversity
- Rolling Out Academic Bling for Edge for Scholars Users
- Handy Guide to Showing PostDoc Appreciation All Year Long
- NIH Wants to Pay Your Student Loans. Here's How to Make It Easier for Them to Do It.
- Academic Epidemic: Rochester Sexual Harassment Case Strikes a Nerve as Student Hunger Strike Begins
- As Rochester's President Digs Deeper in Sexual Harassment Debacle, Students Plan Protests and Hunger Strikes
- Rochester's Neuroscience Harassment Debacle Gives NIH Director a Chance to Tackle Harassment: Will He Take It?
- "Psst....Pass Me Those Aims?" How You Can See Everyone's Full Grant Application.
- Houston Has a Post-Hurricane Science Problem: Here's How You Can Help
- Profs on Drugs: JAMA Highlights Use of Cognitive Enhancers
- Shields Up: Being A Science Leader in Tough Times
- More Bad News on the Greying of NIH PI's
- Point_Mutation Gives a Master Class in Scientists as Wackaloons.
- Nature Suggests UK Follow US Lead on Academic Sexual Harassment. Please Don't.
- Cancel Your Talks: A Way for Academics to Make a Statement Against Hatred
- What Google and Academia Still Don't Understand About Safety
- Scientists! Get Those Amazon Prime Deals Now.
- Radical Candor: Can It Work for Academics?
- Scientists Career Advice: Seeking No Feedback
- Donna Webb: Missing Out on a Genius Lunch Buddy
- Twitter's Scientists Share The Most Awful Sexist Things They Have Experienced
- Females in Basic Sciences Get Seriously Screwed in Startup Packages. Knowledge is Power, So Plan Your Ask Accordingly.
- When Polite Isn't Going to Cut It: Calling Out Everyday Sexism at Conferences
- Google Has a Powerful New Data Playground for PhDs and MDs to Target Patients, Individuals at Risk and Consumer Trends.
- A Quick Fix for Death by Powerpoint
- Vexing Issues for New PIs: Picking Corresponding Author, Potential Reviewers, Blacklisting and Other Angst
- Queer Science Stories Needed 🌈
- NIH to PIs: In Current Funding Climate, Three R01s Is Enough
- Neuroscience Pretenure Boot Camp in Seattle? Yes, Please!
- No Advances in the Last Decade in Closing the STEM Gender Gap
- Advice for My Graduating Students
- Academic Reads: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
- Time Management for Profs Who Hate Time Tracking
- Glam Journals Whiff Again with More Bad Mentoring and Career Advice
- Scientists Donate $8,000 to Kids STEM Education With Their March Madness Brackets
- Popular Young Scientist’s Post on Failure to Get Funding Goes Viral
- Nature Conspiracy Theories
- Nature Conspiracy Theories
- Popular Young Scientist's Post on Failure to Get Funding Goes Viral
- Go To SLEEP! The Five Things That Happen When You Don't Call It A Night
- Better Profiles are Coming!
- Darwins' Balls Update!
- Translational Newbies: Awesome FREE Advice
- Sure You're Overcommitted? Here's A Hint...
- The Hustle You Need to Be Showing
- The Olympics of Pain: Tag Me Out
- Tired Reviewer Request: Set Your Models Free!
- Academics! Play with Darwins' Balls to Fund STEM Education
- You ARE an Impostor. Six Life Altering Steps to Fix That.
- Leave Your Island. Career Inspiration from Richard Blanco
- Dr. Stephen Korn on NINDS Workforce Development
- Batman and Robin: Woes and Wins in Picking Collaborators
- Getting Evaluated - Time to Bite the Bullet and Ask If You're a Jerk
- A Peek Inside Study Section: The Riff Raff Edition
- Mensches, Mentors and Badasses: My Science Valentines
- Don't Miss the Deal Breakers: Nine Questions for New Lab Staff Hires
- Go Pee. Academic Management Lessons I Learned from Audie Cornish.
- How to Interview the Hell Out of Academic Job Candidates
- Another Cautionary Tale on "Tailgaiting": Brigham and Women's Interloper Evades Hospital Security
- It's National Science Meeting Time! Nine Protips on Meeting, Greeting and Getting It Done Like a Rockstar
- Is Your CV Making You Look Like a Chump?
- Save Your Sanity the Stanford Way
- Sunday Long Reads: Alternative Science Facts , Health Disparity Fixes and Winners!
- Write Like a Boss: Five Minutes to Better Science Writing
- So You Want to Be On An Editorial Board? Some Protips for That.
- Finally! Data on What Study Section Really Cares About
- Nine New Year's Resolutions for Academics
- Buckle Your Seatbelts, Motherf*$%ers...This is How You Start a Grant
- Academics, Get Yourself These Five Gifts for a Great New Year
- Alarming Statistics Reveal Mental Health Crisis in Our STEM and Medical School Trainees
- Women and URMs, Peer Review Needs You. Here's Why and How to Get On That.
- Friday Fighty Squirrel's Academic Science News: It Ain't Your Money, Kid
- You're Never Going to Bounce Back, So Stop Trying: Academic Version
- Taking Science Personally
- Walk the Dog: How Writing Every Day Can Make a Project Seem Less Daunting
- NIH Director, Time to Bring Science to the People American Ninja Warrior Style
- Community Engagement and the Befuddled Academic
- Susan Lindquist Drops the Mic and Leaves the Room
- Up Your Academic Gift Game - Your Worker Bees Will LOVE This
- Excellent Read for the Optimistic Academic: Give and Take by Adam Grant
- Bad News About Your Right to Privacy, Faculty
- Did You Miss It? Big Research Investing and a Decade of DrugMonkey Blog
- FFS: Faculty Dispairty, Violence and Starvation
- Why Your Favorite Journals Need to Put a Dog in the Ethics Fight*
- Scientific Societies Are Failing Academics: Five Ways to Do Better and Get More
- End of Summer Academic Sanity Saver: Post Undergrad Lab Jobs Now!
- Are Your LGBTQ Trainees Safe: Thoughts on Life Post Orlando
- Take a Quick Peek at Your University's Financial Outlook Here
- If I'm a Minority Recruit, Is It Tacky to Point Out There are No Other Minority Faculty?
- Medical Woo and the Hidden Toxins that Are (Not) Killing You
- Doing Better in Academics in Your 40's: You'll Need an Eye Exam for That
- Titles as a Sign You're Doing It Wrong? A(nother) Weird Conversation via Fighty Squirrel
- Safer Labs for Thea and Sheri: You Need a Lab Safety Reality Check
- Updated! March Madness Brackets for STEM Education
- Microscopes, Butterflies, Owl Puke...And More
- The Rube Goldberg Experiment of Hiring Underrepresented Minorities and Harassment of Women in STEM Must End
- Unexpected Perks of Editing for a Journal
- Stop the Slapfest: Why Scientists Need to Step Up in Support of a Cancer Moonshot
- Nut Up, Faculty
- Calm in the Storm: Finding Your Zen at Work
- Introduction to Medical and Other Ignorance
- I Don't Think Team Means What You Think It Means
- Academic Social Media Tangles: The Evolving Tale of Jennifer Berdahl
- Unicorns-106; Mike Huckabee's DNA Schedule-0
- Making Lemonade: A Retraction Watch Interview
- The Land of Monsters
- I'm Not Saying I'm the Best Mentor Ever, But...
- A Monday Morning Giggle from The Onion
- A Sure Fire Way to Know What Your Boss Thinks About You
- What Folks Want to See on Your Lab Website
- The Trouble With Girls in Lab
- Rock and a Hard Place
- Fraud Busting Bonanza
- Checking Social Media Phobia for Academic Parents: Awesome Teen Eden Lytle Offers Her Help!
- I'm Dying a Slow Academic Death and Travel is the Likely Killer
- Title IX Isn’t Working: Nine Necessary Actions to End Sexual Harassment Culture in STEM