The Fighty Squirrel is very thin pseud for a molecular and cellular neurobiology type who runs a lab studying neurodegeneration. She is mother to a 14yo half child/half honey badger and 16yo half child/half border collie and a Reviewing Editor at Journal of Neuroscience. She also sort of a badass at air hockey. She speaks for herself unless her employer likes it, in which case it's patented.
Vanderbilt School of Medicine
The Fastest Typing Squirrel You Know
Nuts and Twigs
I haven't filled out my Websites yet!
- I Killed the Chili Pepper on Rate My Professors
- Four Things You Can Do Now That You're Mad About Academic Harassment
- 1000 Scientists Call on National Academy of Sciences to Oust Harassers
- National Academy of Science Should Sever Ties with Sexual Harassers
- Don't Row, Steer. A Professor's Four Steps to Deep Work
- Thank a Congress Critter! Science Budget is a Win for NIH NSF
- Scientists Help Fund Over $22,000 for Kids STEM with March Madness
- Angry Academics
- MARCH MADNESS: Brackets Benefitting STEM Education. Play with Darwin's Balls!
- A Big Step Forward in Standardizing Rules for Authorship
- Questions for STEM Profs to Ask Before Filing Taxes
- NSF Just Made It A Lot Harder for Universities to Harbor Harassers
- Women: If You Want First Author Publications, Have a Female Boss
- Summer for Academic Parents: Do It Like a Pro by Preparing Now
- Valentine's Day Presents for the STEM Love of Your Life
- Why Aren't More LGBT+ Scientists Out: Student's Question Sparks Debate
- Reality Check: It's Not Your Data
- How to Make Your Team Stand Out When Interviewing Prospective Students
- Multi Year Study Reveals Significant Bias Against Women in Grant Review
- Year 15 as a PI. Spoiler, It's a Still a Challenge
- Quick Like Bunnies, Spend $5 Now for a Better Academic New Year
- TIME Names University Silence Breakers People of the Year
- Gifts Your STEM Buddies + Lab Friends Really Want This Holiday Season
- Brene Brown Offers Academics A Thoughtful Way To Do a Reboot
- Alice Soragni's Hot Takes on Year One of Being a PI
- NIAAA Steps Up with Great Addiction Outreach Tool
- Salvage Your Unfunded Grant with an OnPAR Submission
- Pending Budget Plan Spells Big Trouble for Higher Education
- Harvard Study Shows Bias, Not Behavior, Is Why Women Aren't Advancing
- I'm Not Your Mom and Other News About Females in STEM
- Dear Sen Warren: A Primer on Being a Woman in Science
- NIH Just Stepped Up (a Bit) to Promote Neuroscience Trainee Diversity
- Rolling Out Academic Bling for Edge for Scholars Users
- Handy Guide to Showing PostDoc Appreciation All Year Long
- NIH Wants to Pay Your Student Loans. Here's How to Make It Easier for Them to Do It.
- Academic Epidemic: Rochester Sexual Harassment Case Strikes a Nerve as Student Hunger Strike Begins
- As Rochester's President Digs Deeper in Sexual Harassment Debacle, Students Plan Protests and Hunger Strikes
- Rochester's Neuroscience Harassment Debacle Gives NIH Director a Chance to Tackle Harassment: Will He Take It?
- "Psst....Pass Me Those Aims?" How You Can See Everyone's Full Grant Application.
- Houston Has a Post-Hurricane Science Problem: Here's How You Can Help
- Profs on Drugs: JAMA Highlights Use of Cognitive Enhancers
- Shields Up: Being A Science Leader in Tough Times
- More Bad News on the Greying of NIH PI's
- Point_Mutation Gives a Master Class in Scientists as Wackaloons.
- Nature Suggests UK Follow US Lead on Academic Sexual Harassment. Please Don't.
- Cancel Your Talks: A Way for Academics to Make a Statement Against Hatred
- What Google and Academia Still Don't Understand About Safety
- Scientists! Get Those Amazon Prime Deals Now.
- Radical Candor: Can It Work for Academics?
- Scientists Career Advice: Seeking No Feedback
- Donna Webb: Missing Out on a Genius Lunch Buddy
- Twitter's Scientists Share The Most Awful Sexist Things They Have Experienced
- Females in Basic Sciences Get Seriously Screwed in Startup Packages. Knowledge is Power, So Plan Your Ask Accordingly.
- When Polite Isn't Going to Cut It: Calling Out Everyday Sexism at Conferences
- Google Has a Powerful New Data Playground for PhDs and MDs to Target Patients, Individuals at Risk and Consumer Trends.
- A Quick Fix for Death by Powerpoint
- Vexing Issues for New PIs: Picking Corresponding Author, Potential Reviewers, Blacklisting and Other Angst
- Queer Science Stories Needed 🌈
- NIH to PIs: In Current Funding Climate, Three R01s Is Enough
- Neuroscience Pretenure Boot Camp in Seattle? Yes, Please!
- No Advances in the Last Decade in Closing the STEM Gender Gap
- Advice for My Graduating Students
- Academic Reads: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
- Time Management for Profs Who Hate Time Tracking
- Glam Journals Whiff Again with More Bad Mentoring and Career Advice
- Scientists Donate $8,000 to Kids STEM Education With Their March Madness Brackets
- Popular Young Scientist’s Post on Failure to Get Funding Goes Viral
- Nature Conspiracy Theories
- Nature Conspiracy Theories
- Popular Young Scientist's Post on Failure to Get Funding Goes Viral
- Go To SLEEP! The Five Things That Happen When You Don't Call It A Night
- Better Profiles are Coming!
- Darwins' Balls Update!
- Translational Newbies: Awesome FREE Advice
- Sure You're Overcommitted? Here's A Hint...
- The Hustle You Need to Be Showing
- The Olympics of Pain: Tag Me Out
- Tired Reviewer Request: Set Your Models Free!
- Academics! Play with Darwins' Balls to Fund STEM Education
- You ARE an Impostor. Six Life Altering Steps to Fix That.
- Leave Your Island. Career Inspiration from Richard Blanco
- Dr. Stephen Korn on NINDS Workforce Development
- Batman and Robin: Woes and Wins in Picking Collaborators
- Getting Evaluated - Time to Bite the Bullet and Ask If You're a Jerk
- A Peek Inside Study Section: The Riff Raff Edition
- Mensches, Mentors and Badasses: My Science Valentines
- Don't Miss the Deal Breakers: Nine Questions for New Lab Staff Hires
- Go Pee. Academic Management Lessons I Learned from Audie Cornish.
- How to Interview the Hell Out of Academic Job Candidates
- Another Cautionary Tale on "Tailgaiting": Brigham and Women's Interloper Evades Hospital Security
- It's National Science Meeting Time! Nine Protips on Meeting, Greeting and Getting It Done Like a Rockstar
- Is Your CV Making You Look Like a Chump?
- Save Your Sanity the Stanford Way
- Sunday Long Reads: Alternative Science Facts , Health Disparity Fixes and Winners!
- Write Like a Boss: Five Minutes to Better Science Writing
- So You Want to Be On An Editorial Board? Some Protips for That.
- Finally! Data on What Study Section Really Cares About
- Nine New Year's Resolutions for Academics
- Buckle Your Seatbelts, Motherf*$%ers...This is How You Start a Grant
- Academics, Get Yourself These Five Gifts for a Great New Year
- Alarming Statistics Reveal Mental Health Crisis in Our STEM and Medical School Trainees
- Women and URMs, Peer Review Needs You. Here's Why and How to Get On That.
- Friday Fighty Squirrel's Academic Science News: It Ain't Your Money, Kid
- You're Never Going to Bounce Back, So Stop Trying: Academic Version
- Taking Science Personally
- Walk the Dog: How Writing Every Day Can Make a Project Seem Less Daunting
- NIH Director, Time to Bring Science to the People American Ninja Warrior Style
- Community Engagement and the Befuddled Academic
- Susan Lindquist Drops the Mic and Leaves the Room
- Up Your Academic Gift Game - Your Worker Bees Will LOVE This
- Excellent Read for the Optimistic Academic: Give and Take by Adam Grant
- Bad News About Your Right to Privacy, Faculty
- Did You Miss It? Big Research Investing and a Decade of DrugMonkey Blog
- FFS: Faculty Dispairty, Violence and Starvation
- Why Your Favorite Journals Need to Put a Dog in the Ethics Fight*
- Scientific Societies Are Failing Academics: Five Ways to Do Better and Get More
- End of Summer Academic Sanity Saver: Post Undergrad Lab Jobs Now!
- Are Your LGBTQ Trainees Safe: Thoughts on Life Post Orlando
- Take a Quick Peek at Your University's Financial Outlook Here
- If I'm a Minority Recruit, Is It Tacky to Point Out There are No Other Minority Faculty?
- Medical Woo and the Hidden Toxins that Are (Not) Killing You
- Doing Better in Academics in Your 40's: You'll Need an Eye Exam for That
- Titles as a Sign You're Doing It Wrong? A(nother) Weird Conversation via Fighty Squirrel
- Safer Labs for Thea and Sheri: You Need a Lab Safety Reality Check
- Updated! March Madness Brackets for STEM Education
- Microscopes, Butterflies, Owl Puke...And More
- The Rube Goldberg Experiment of Hiring Underrepresented Minorities and Harassment of Women in STEM Must End
- Unexpected Perks of Editing for a Journal
- Stop the Slapfest: Why Scientists Need to Step Up in Support of a Cancer Moonshot
- Nut Up, Faculty
- Calm in the Storm: Finding Your Zen at Work
- Introduction to Medical and Other Ignorance
- I Don't Think Team Means What You Think It Means
- Academic Social Media Tangles: The Evolving Tale of Jennifer Berdahl
- Unicorns-106; Mike Huckabee's DNA Schedule-0
- Making Lemonade: A Retraction Watch Interview
- The Land of Monsters
- I'm Not Saying I'm the Best Mentor Ever, But...
- A Monday Morning Giggle from The Onion
- A Sure Fire Way to Know What Your Boss Thinks About You
- What Folks Want to See on Your Lab Website
- The Trouble With Girls in Lab
- Rock and a Hard Place
- Fraud Busting Bonanza
- Checking Social Media Phobia for Academic Parents: Awesome Teen Eden Lytle Offers Her Help!
- I'm Dying a Slow Academic Death and Travel is the Likely Killer
- Title IX Isn’t Working: Nine Necessary Actions to End Sexual Harassment Culture in STEM