New Edge Conversation Starts October 15
Welcome to Edge Conversations. We feature books selected for actionable intel like:
- Leading productive and energized research teams
- Simplifying life to focus more effectively
- Functioning well around and despite problem people
- Developing satisfying careers
Our virtual book club is hosted in a private Facebook group with read-as-you-go discussions. Our next selection, beginning October 15, Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter, is by Liz Wiseman with Greg McKeown.
Ben Tingey, Innovation Manager with the Atrium Health Innovation Engine, is leading this conversation. We recruited Ben after hearing him host the A Sherpa’s Guide to Innovation podcast. His insights into human-centered design and disruptive innovation are well-suited to the changing landscape of research which increasingly requires leaders to ignite the success of collaborations and to guide complex project.
Multipliers dissects why some leaders diminish the effectiveness of those around them while others, “the Multipliers, have a resoundingly positive and profitable effect on organizations–getting more done with fewer resources, developing and attracting talent, and cultivating new ideas and energy to drive organizational change and innovation.” The insights and guidance in Multipliers rings true for leading well across the range of responsibilities we take on in academic life.
Discussions unfold over 8 to 12 weeks. These are read-as-you-go conversations. No need to finish the book to jump in. Members are encouraged to post as well as comment. Welcome to the Conversation.
For more about this book and our moderator see Ben’s full book review blog.
To join the group:
- Go to Edge Conversations
- Review the Basic Conversational Standards
- Request to be added to the group
- Check out the prior Conversation on Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Sit tight until Tuesday, October 15, when we launch this new conversation!